Hi guys! I present to you RX-78-1 Prototype Gundam!
This kit is a P-Bandai Hobby Shop exclusive and I had him bought by a friend from Japan. This is the “Grandfather Gundam”, older than the famous RX-78-2.
I just did a clean straight build, put the default water slide decals on, some basic panel lining and sealed everything with clear matte coat. I wanted to preserve the original colors and design of this limited edition kit.
The RX-78-1 Prototype Gundam is the third Mobile Suit produced under the Project V. RX-78-1 design placed emphasis on fast, close quarters combat. It was also the first to feature several new technologies, including the energy cap-based beam rifle (making the Gundam the first mobile suit to pack the firepower of a battleship) a beam saber and a beam javelin for close quarters. The Prototype Gundam also featured the Core Block System and the FF-X7 Core Fighter. (Gundam Wikia)
Let’s first have a look at the parts:
Core fighter parts:
Head parts:Left and right arm parts:
And when everything is put together, he really projects the classic prototype image. You can find the inner frame post here.
The shield actually has a slider that can open and close the rectangular peep hole on the shield.
I love the original MG hands that they included in this kit, not like the HG like MG hands included in EW kits. Dual wielding is always awesome.
Prototype Gundam trying to be “kawaii”:
Let’s have a look at the core fighter: The front vents can be moved up and down: Break dancing to show leg articulation:
On his right part of his waist can be opened to house the Beam Rifle: The shield can be attached on his back when not in use:
Some more photos:
Well that’s it for the photos!
Things I like about this kit:
1. It’s the Prototype Gundam! Love the original design and colors.
2. The inner frame articulation is impressive, I expected it to be similar with RX-78-2 Ver. Ka but this kit is way better than that.
3. First kit I encountered that included pure water slide decals! Pain to put on but was worth it!
4. Inner frame details are impressive.
5. Shield handling is stable.
6. Water slide decals have a lot of extras.
Things I don’t like about this kit:
1. Loose back ankle armor.
2. Original MG hands still has weapon holding issues.
3. Front cockpit armor is loose.
4. V-fin is loose.
5. Side skirts keep popping out when posing.
Despite some loose parts, he is a nice kit to have since he is a classic! I do not regret buying this kit. Water slide decals amount is generous, articulation is impressive. Thanks for viewing! Till next post~!